Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Updates

I haven't blogged in a week. I must be slipping. My apologies to my loyal readers (both of you :-P).

Last week at this time I was cripplingly ill. I vomited early in the morning and then slept all day. The likely culprit is some bad mayonnaise at a local snack joint. I know of two other people who ate the same item at the same restaurant within 24 hours of my doing so, and they were also sick. Fortunately, they and I both got over it fairly quickly, within one day in fact. I was back at school teaching as if nothing had happened the next day.

This past weekend was a 3-day weekend which was desperately needed and ardently desired. I must admit that I wasted a lot of it, if you consider relaxation a waste. Some things I didn't get accomplished: cleaning my room, doing laundry, doing dishes, shopping for some items. What I did accomplish, however, is higher on my priority list than any of that: I felt ready and more than ready to go back to school on Monday. I needed the time to wind down and relax without responsibilities hanging over my head, and when it presented itself, I grabbed it with both hands. This, I feel, was the correct decision, and if my mother would be horrified by the shape my room is currently in, I hope she would be mollified to some degree by the shape my mind is in.

I'm teaching about Greek mythology in a couple of classes. This is turning out to be lots of fun. The kids are definitely interested, and I love telling stories, which is what I do for most of class. Good times.

This evening (Tuesday) I was treated to dinner at Fuddrucker's in honor of my birthday. I invited a couple of co-teachers, and the vice-principal, Bruce, and his wife, Sue, were also there. It didn't make me forget home-cooked fried chicken or anything, but it was a very satisfying and congenial meal, with an unheard-of luxury for this country: ranch dressing! I couldn't have asked for a more timely present. My morale is considerably raised.

I am, generally speaking, in high spirits. My readers who also have facebook may have noticed that I read a long book, absolutely detested it, and wrote a long diatribe against it. To the observant reader, this should indicate a few things about my current situation. First, I have the energy to get really exercised over a work of literature. This is a good sign, it wasn't the case a few weeks ago. Second, I have the time to respond in written form. And third, I have access to literature, which in my case is a psychological benefit not to be underestimated.

My roommate has discovered a source of cheap steaks, and he grills them about once a week. I'm well fed, well read, working hard and pretty happy.

Observation: John Piper would love this country. A common greeting is "kiifak" or "kiif halak" (literally "how is your health") and a common response is "Alhamdulillah" which literally means "God's glory" or "ashkurallah" which means "I thank God." There is a very healthy attitude about God's involvement in day-to-day life here, which humbles me and which I am striving to emulate. Accordingly, glory to God for how well things are going!

Please pray that the school would find some more staff, even on a very temporary basis. What I've said in previous posts still applies, and there is a not insignificant risk of teacher burnout, especially among new and inexperienced teachers (by which I mean myself). Pray also for wisdom in dealing with local folks and to say the right things at the right times.

I miss you all.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, Sy, I am much more concerned about the state of your mind than the state of your room, since your room can be easily corrected, but not always your mind. Sounds like you had a happy day and a good meal and glad you have returned to health. Keep up the good work.
Mom

Bboy Pax Tecum said...

hey bro, nothing like sabbath... im finding that out all the time