Sunday, July 1, 2007

The calm before the storm

So, the last few days have been packed completely full of fun things. The other English teachers are all here, and we've been gallivanting around Amman, checking things out. I've taken over 100 photos but STILL CANNOT GET THEM TO POST! I have learned a new word to use in situations like this: Haram! Literal translation is something like "Shame" or "disgrace" but it's generally used as an epithet against anything that annoys you. And this does. Massively. Rawr.

But, that aside, I've had tons of fun. Things I've seen included another trip to the Balad, a trip to Mecca Mall, which was like a little slice of M0A transplanted into Amman, and a drive up to the top of one of Amman's other hills to "the citadel," an ancient Roman/Umayyad site with a museum and a really stunning view of the city. Sure wish I could post some of my pictures. Grar.

Ironically, I've eaten quite a bit of American food (Pizza Hut, Popeye's, Burger King, and so on) over the past few days. Reti, who's recommending most of these places, says it's because we'll be eating lunch at a different person's home each day throughout the English program, and that will be mostly Arabic food. Whatever, I wasn't complaining.

Anyway, the title of this post is because tomorrow it all goes down. English classes start at 9, meaning that registration starts at 8:30, meaning that I have to haul my carcass out of bed and up the (steep!) hill to the church at 8 in the morning. Shouldn't be much of a problem though, I doubt I'll be sleeping well. I'm quite nervous. Well prepared, well supplied with materials, watched over by the ruler of the universe and endowed by him with some very relevant gifts, but still nervous. Funny the tricks responsibility can play on your mind and faith.

Please, if you talk to said ruler, mention me. I'll probably have ~40-60 kids in my class, and I want to make sure each one of them learns, grows, and has fun. A tall order, and not one I can remotely handle on my own.

Much love to all, I miss you!